Friday 20 February 2009

More Academic Networking

Academia.edu

OK, a new site (or is it new, well, it's new to me!) has appeared on my horizon: Academia.edu. Discovered it through Facebook, when I saw Martin (Polley, my PhD supervisor) had signed up to it. Wonder why it didn't appear when I Googled "academic social networking", obviously doesn't have great SEO - have to teach them some tricks! The site looks like it could add some real value, as it has listed all departments even within the University of Winchester where I work (a small university), not just American Universities. Can list your publications, significant conference papers, research interests, upload your CV. Think it has real value-added potential!

Life Coaching
OK, maybe a blog should be about a single subject, but I just wanted to put a bit of info on tonight. This week has been extremely busy, the lowlight of which was my laptop breaking, so I'm borrowing another computer to write this (so excuse the image, created with Paint, rather than PhotoShop!). Still deciding on a new one, but in the meantime, tomorrow have my final weekend of the current course of life-coaching (it's going to be a lifelong learning skill, but have found it useful already in teaching!)

Check out:
"On other matters, I've been doing life coaching with Bex (see http://www.bex-lewis.co.uk/) and it's been really helpful. I've now got a second blog where I talk solely about my PhD, which came out of one of our sessions, and I am thinking more positively and being more organised. You should give it a go!"
http://charlynorton.blogspot.com/2009/02/its-been-few-days.html

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Up for even more academic social networking? :) Then I suggest you have a look at Mendeley (www.mendeley.com, I'm a co-founder).

Mendeley is two things: Free academic desktop software (available for Windows, Mac and Linux) for managing & sharing research papers, and a website where you can back up and manage your research papers, discover research trends, and connect to like-minded researchers.

We believe that a useful network for researchers should emerge based on data, not on already existing relationships. That's why our vision is to create a "Last.fm for Research" (http://www.mendeley.com/blog/2008/07/an-excellent-euroscience-adventure-part-ii/) - let me know what you think about this idea.

You can either leave some feedback in our feedback forum (http://feedback.mendeley.com) or write me an e-mail directly (jan.reichelt@mendeley.com).

Best wishes
Jan